Roanoke Route Walking Tour Stop 14: Mayor Jenkins' House

Mayor Jenkins’ House, 1905 

111 S. Oak St.

The current Hey, Sugar building was built on the site of the Hood-Jenkins house, which was built around 1905 for Berry Hood and Rachel Caroline “Callie” Freeman. The house was given to their daughter Hattie as a wedding gift when she married prominent businessman Hugh Jenkins, the city’s first mayor. Later, Mr. Jenkins’ stepdaughter “Miss Alberta” Lincecum lived there, where she welcomed local country music musicians to play on her porch during the City’s early Celebrate Roanoke festivals.  

Hugh and Hattie Jenkins moved into this house right after their marriage in 1905.

Jenkins house original 2013726JPGHugh and Hattie 201019103

‘Miss Alberta’ Lincecum welcomed local country musicians to her home every year at Celebrate Roanoke.Jenkins house 2021443

Miss Alberta porch 2021102